top of page


If you rent your home, whether it is an apartment, house, condo, or duplex, you can protect your assets with renters insurance.


Renters can be prepared with insurance policies that protect you in the unfortunate event of fire, theft or water damage. Horn-McGowan will help you determine how extensive your renter's insurance policy should be. 


Renters insurance is very similar to homeowners insurance, it is simply focused on people who rent their home instead of own it. Even if your landlord or property manager has insurance for your home, that does not mean your assets are covered by renters insurance. Chicago landlord’s policies cover the property as a whole, but your belongings remain your responsibility. Some landlords will actually require you to carry renters insurance. 


Renters insurance generally covers:

  • Personal Property—like your furniture, electronics, and clothing.

  • Personal Liability—in the event that someone is injured.

  • Damage to Your Apartment— if the damage is caused by a covered loss.

  • Replacing valuables that have been lost or stolen is made much easier with the help of renters insurance.


Chicago renters policies provide coverage for your valuables in the event that fire, smoke, lightning, vandalism, theft, explosion, windstorm, and water damage from plumbing occurs. Also, if you are forced out of your rented home due to a disaster, additional living expenses you may incur- like hotel bills, temporary rentals, and restaurant meals – are covered by renters insurance.


Renters insurance in Chicago even provides coverage for those who may be injured at your home, or elsewhere, by you, a pet, or a family member. In the event of a lawsuit, a renters policy will also cover your legal defense fees if you end up in court.  There are many options to consider when selecting renters insurance so contact a Horn-McGowan insurance agent for more information.

Business, Auto and Homeowners
bottom of page